By Madeline Manoukian
Routledge is proud to be re-issuing this landmark sequence in organization with the foreign African Institute. The sequence, released among 1950 and 1977, brings jointly a wealth of formerly un-co-ordinated fabric at the ethnic groupings and social stipulations of African peoples.
Concise, severe and (for its time) actual, the Ethnographic Survey contains sections as follows:
- Physical Environment
- Linguistic Data
- History & Traditions of Origin
- Cultural positive factors: faith, Witchcraft, start, Initiation, Burial
- Social & Political association: Kinship, Marriage, Inheritance, Slavery, Land Tenure, battle & Justice
- Economy & Trade
- Domestic Architecture
Each of the 50 volumes could be available for purchase separately, and those are prepared into local sub-groups: East crucial Africa, North-Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West principal Africa, Western Africa, and vital Africa Belgian Congo.
The volumes are supplemented with maps, on hand to view on routledge.com or on hand as a pdf from the publishers.
Read or Download Akan and Ga-Adangme Peoples: Western Africa Part I: Volume 31 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa) PDF
Best anthropology books
Forbidden indicators explores American tradition from the mid-nineteenth century to 1920 throughout the lens of 1 amazing episode: the crusade led through Alexander Graham Bell and different trendy american citizens to suppress using signal language between deaf humans. the consequent debate over signal language invoked such primary questions as what uncommon americans from non-Americans, civilized humans from "savages," people from animals, males from girls, the normal from the unnatural, and the conventional from the irregular.
In 2005, twelve cartoons mocking the prophet Mohammed seemed within the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, igniting a political firestorm over calls for by means of a few Muslims that the claims in their spiritual religion take priority over freedom of expression. Given the explosive response from heart jap governments, Muslim clerics, and a few Danish politicians, the level was once set for a backlash opposed to Muslims in Denmark.
What makes humans conform to the extension of political rights to these they in actual fact dislike? This e-book strikes past the large study in this query in western contexts to target the worldwide south, delivering designated empirical reports of political tolerance in plural societies the place poverty is generic and democratic associations can frequently be fragile.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2016 im Fachbereich Kulturwissenschaften - Sonstiges, be aware: 1,3, Leuphana Universität Lüneburg, Veranstaltung: Zeit der Moderne, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Schon Benjamin Franklin erkannte mit seinem berühmten Zitat „Zeit ist Geld“ wie eng Zeit und Geld miteinander in Verbindung stehen.
- Zeit ist Geld. Die Bedeutung des Geldes im Kontext aktueller Beschleunigungstheorien der Moderne (German Edition)
- Women and Alcohol in a Highland Maya Town: Water of Hope, Water of Sorrow
- The Power of Place, the Problem of Time: Aboriginal Identity and Historical Consciousness in the Cauldron of Colonialism
- Debugging the Link between Social Theory and Social Insects
- Philadelphia Gentlemen: The Making of a National Upper Class
- Conformity and Conflict: Pearson New International Edition: Readings in Cultural Anthropology
Extra resources for Akan and Ga-Adangme Peoples: Western Africa Part I: Volume 31 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa)